April 7, 2018
The number one thing I struggled with when I started my photography business in Wichita was finding locations! If you get on google and search photography locations in Wichita, a few posts come up. Most are really cool locations, don’t get me wrong, and they are the reason I started off where I did. But, those locations are really common, or used a LOT in the photography world of Wichita. They’re also really popular places for regular people to go to. Let me just list a few examples in case you’re brand new to this area.
– Great Plains Nature Center
– Keeper of the Plains
– Exploration Center
– Union Station
So, newbies, this list is a good start. They are really cool locations to take pictures at, and obviously the possibility is endless when you have different photographers putting their own style on things. For some people who wanted unique locations, or just something a bit more than the basics, I’ve come up with a list of locations for you! I got these locations from research, other photographers, or just finding them on accident! To save you all the hours of looking, driving around, and asking others, I decided to make this as simple as possible. Ready? Here we go!
If you love nature you’ll love:
– Sedgwick County Park: 6501 W 21st St Wichita KS 67205
This place truly has it all! Trees, water, trails, and even a beach location! The beach location is behind the big park.
– Pawnee Prairie Park: Wichita KS 67209 (There’s not an exact address, but if you put in in Google Maps, you can get in off Pawnee and Tyler!)
– Oak Park: 1100 W 11th St N Wichita KS 67230
You’ll probably recognize this one as the one with the cool bridge! It’s a must see and a super cool location. The trails are really pretty, and it’s also near a bridge with water under it!
– Eastborough Park: 34 Willowbrook Rd, Eastborough KS 67207
This is GORGEOUS! There’s a waterfall, gazebo, walking path, and an actual playground to bribe kids with! Win!
– Santa Fe Lake: 11367 SW Shore Dr., Agusta KS 67010
So this gorgeous location has sandy areas that can look like a mini beach! Just, don’t come here if you’re scared of snakes… but hey, it’s nature, so that’s the risk we take. Photographers out here crawling around with snakes for good pictures, you’re welcome.
– McLaughlin Park: McLaughlin Dr, Valley Center KS 67147 (Also, no exact address, but you’ll find it if you use Google Maps!)
– Swanson Park: 1011 N Maize Ct, Wichita KS 67212
– Riverside Park: 1029 N Bitting, Wichita KS 67203
If the city holds your heart and you love the urban look, these are for you:
– Cliffton Square: 3700 E Douglas Ave, Wichita KS 67208
This location is super fun because there’s so many shops around! There’s a cute gazebo, and pretty lights.
– The Art Park: 7230 East 29th St N, Wichita KS 67226
– Pop Up Park: 121 E Douglas Ave, Wichita KS 67202
If you love colors, this place is for you. Everything is so bright, lively, and really does ‘pop’ out! Also, right next to the ICT chalk talks wall, which is fun!
– The Crown: 3207 E Douglas Ave, Wichita KS 67218
So I put this here because the Crown is gorgeous. The whole strip of Douglas that the Crown sits on is super fun, urban, and perfect for taking pictures. Feel free to explore around this area, you won’t regret it.
– Wichita Boathouse: 515 S Wichita St, Wichita KS 67202
– Old Town Warren (Area): 353 N Mead, Wichita KS 67202
If you need a parking garage rooftop, this place has it. If you want cool city vibes with movie theater lights and fountains, yep, they’re here too!
– The Venue at Madison Avenue Central Park: 512 E Madison Ave, Derby KS 67037
Most commonly used for weddings, this park actually has a playground, walking path, and cool bridges too. It’s outdoorsy, but looks very modern and with city vibes too. Best of both worlds.
– The Hyatt Hotel Downtown: 400 W Waterman St, Wichita KS 67202
– Abandoned Buildng by Union Station: I also don’t have an exact address for this, so what you do is you park near the side/back of union station. Across the street on Rock Island, you’ll see the building. One side is brick, the other side has a blue garage door, its really pretty and super urban! So closest location directions are: off douglas, park by union station on the side closest to ‘the kitchen’, and it’s off of s rock island.
Bonus: If you have a big appetite or just love food, try these adorable places:
– Miri Mini’s: 3543 E Douglas Ave, Wichita KS 67218
Donuts. Enough said.
– Chiquita’s Corner: 828 W 11th St N, Wichita KS 67203 (Also: I just learned that this place is closed, but the building is still really cute and colorful!)
– Reverie Coffee Roasters: 2202 E Douglas Ave, Wichita KS 67214
Also Bonus: Did you know Kansas has a castle? Yeah it’s 100% on my bucket list of places to shoot. It’s called Coronodo Heights and it’s in Lindsborg, KS!